Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, to find out more information, please read my disclaimer.
Regarding eyelash extensions pros and cons, there many things to consider. On the one hand, extensions can make your lashes look fuller and longer. However, on the other hand, they can be difficult to remove and may damage your natural lashes. I wore eyelash extensions for over seven years straight. I’ll share why I loved eyelash extensions, why I decided to remove them, and what I did to recover my eyelashes after eyelash extension addiction. If you’re considering seeing a lash expert, here’s what you need to know about eyelash extensions pros and cons.
What are Eyelash Extensions?
Eyelash extensions are a popular beauty treatment that involves attaching false eyelashes to your natural lashes. The lash extensions can be made from various materials, including mink, faux mink, silk, and synthetic fibers. They are available in multiple lengths, thicknesses, and curl types to suit your desired look. Eyelash extensions are attached to your natural lash hair using a tweezer-like tool. As the natural lash cycle continues, where your natural lashes grow back and new lashes grow in, lashes will need to be “filled in .”The lashes typically last for around two to three weeks before they need to be filled in.
Eyelash extensions are a great way to achieve long, luscious lashes without needing mascara or other cosmetics. However, it is essential to note that eyelash extensions require regular upkeep by a good lash technician and daily care. Be sure to consult with a lash technician to ensure that your extensions are applied correctly and taken care of properly.
My love affair with eyelash extensions started over eight years ago. I had great eyelashes at the time, but a few of my friends had false lash extensions, and I loved how they looked. To this day, I still believe this is one of the biggest game-changers you can do for your appearance. You’re ready to roll out of bed every morning and are prepared to go with zero eye makeup.
Eyelash Extension Pros and Cons
The Pros of eyelash extensions
Here are a few of the eyelash extensions pros to consider.
- Always look fantastic with no effort – literally “wake up like this”
- Saves time on daily eye makeup time and no need to purchase an eyelash curler or mascara. You won’t need to wear mascara or wear makeup at all.
- Makes your eyes look bigger and enhances eye shape
- Wearing lashes draws more attention to your eyes
The cons of eyelash extensions
Here are some of the downsides of lash extensions, and why I stopped eyelash extensions:
- Expensive – An initial set of lashes can cost $150+, and eyelash fills every 2-3 weeks cost around $75+ tip, depending on your area and the experience of your technician.
- Time-consuming – an eyelash extension appointment can last an hour to an hour and a half, during which time you lay down with your eyes closed (forget multitasking).
- You may have allergic reactions to the lash glue used or develop an allergic reaction to the bond over time.
- Lash hairs can get tangled and attached incorrectly, which can be embarrassing to have a stray eyelash out of place.
- Eyelash extensions ruin your own natural eyelashes – Before the lash extensions fans come at me on this one, this was my personal experience from wearing lash extensions for years. I’m sure giving my natural lashes more breaks would have helped my natural lashes not be so damaged.
- Stomach sleeper? That’s a big no no with eyelash extensions.
- Don’t look natural.
how to regrow natural lashes after extensions
When transitioning from extensions to el natural, you should take a few steps.
- Schedule time to have extensions removed by your lash tech, or you can plan on taking them off at home with a lash glue remover. Whatever you do, don’t pull them out!
- A few days or weeks before, start using an eyelash serum. I researched and read reviews for over 15 serums, so I did the leg work for you! Lots of reviews claimed the results are similar to the effects of Latisse (which I read is excellent too but requires a prescription). You only need a small sweep on each eyelash line.
- Get an eyelash makeup routine back in place. When I go out, I curl my eyelashes and then coat them with this primer. The primer is also a lash conditioner containing Vitamin E and micro-fibers to help lash health. Then I top it with a big coat of mascara. Viola! Beautiful lashes that look natural.
- Make sure to eat a healthy diet of whole foods so that your body has all the nutrients and vitamins it needs to grow healthy natural lashes!
How Long Does it Take for Your Own Natural Lashes to Grow Back?
I started seeing significant regrowth using an eyelash serum around 8 weeks. I’m not going to lie to you, eyelash recovery is difficult. Transitioning to my natural lashes after seven years of eyelash extensions was tough. I felt like my eyelashes were so short eyelashes after extensions for the first few weeks, but after that, my eyes adjusted, and I started loving my natural lashes again. Would I get eyelash extensions back? Maybe. However, I’m enjoying rocking the natural look without the high maintenance of lash extensions!
Eyelash Extensions Pros and Cons
So, are lash extensions worth it? The answer is definitely yes and no. They’re a great way to add length, volume, and color to your lashes without fussing with mascara daily. But they can also be expensive, time-consuming, and require some upkeep. If you’re considering the eyelash extensions pros and cons, I highly recommend doing your research first to know what to expect. I suggest using an eyelash growth serum to keep eyelashes healthy and lush, so you’re ready for your next family photoshoot. Also, you may be interested in reading:
- Natural Eyebrows Growth: 5 Easy Tips for Moms
- Grow Long Healthy Hair with these 10 Tips & Products
- Skincare Routine & Tips for Younger-looking Skin
Till next time,