Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, to find out more information, please read my disclaimer.
Proper form while exercising is a huge passion of mine, that’s why today we will talk about planks for beginners. I am making it my MISSION to spread proper plank form to all! This is
While I was walking the dog today, there was an outdoor boot camp going on. When they dropped into plank, I could only spot a few doing it correctly. My friends, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
How to do planks for beginners:
- Head in line with the spine
- Elbows under shoulders
- Lift your hips and tuck your pelvis under – engage your abs. Remove the arch from the lower back
- Squeeze your glutes!
- Squeeze your glutes! YES this is so
imporant, I listed it twice!
Here’s how to incorporate planks into your workout:
- Warm-up. This can be done simply by doing a few jumping jacks, squats, or a brisk walk.
- Come down to your forearms on a mat or rug. Align the shoulders right over the elbows. Start on your knees and progress to the toes. Lift the hips so form a line from shoulders to knees/toes (see picture). Then tuck your pelvis under, to remove the arch in your back, and squeeze your glutes (third time mentioning this a charm?)
- Start with 3 sets of 30 seconds. Make sure to breathe through the motion with deep inhales through the nose and exhales out of the mouth. If you find yourself coming out of proper form, take a break and restart. You’ll be able to do longer sets with practice.
- Do this routine 1-4 times/week. Optional to do side planks as well, the tips still apply!
I hope you enjoyed reading learning about planks for beginners! Remember, to start slow and build up your abdominal muscles over time. Don’t forget to check out the shop for more customized workout plans.
I PROMISE you’ll feel the difference on this one! Happy planking!!