This page may contain affiliate links. I could earn a small commission if you purchase through a link, at no extra cost to you. I only recommend companies I have used and trust.
Oh, the joys of living in Dallas in the summer (aka the surface of the sun)! Summer makes me crave fresh, refreshing meals. This delicious spirulina superfood smoothie bowl is under 500 calories and packed with nutrients. It contains fruits, vegetables, and plant-based supplements that will keep you full for HOURS!
Let’s talk about the wonder powder, spirulina! Spirulina, blue-green microalgae, is one of the most nutrient-rich foods on the planet. Moreover, it contains amino acids, chlorophyll, vitamins, and minerals. I’m a long term fan of using spirulina powder in smoothies as it packs a long list of potential benefits.
Remember, make sure to get an organic, vegan, plant-based protein powder, like this one. It is crucial to avoid supplements with added chemicals or fillers, which are present in many supplements.
Also, this requires a blender and freezing the bananas beforehand. TIP: I keep pre-measured frozen ingredients in freezer bags so that I’m ready to pop one in the blender quickly when a smoothie bowl craving hits. Then, in under 5 minutes, you can have a super nutritious and delicious meal!
Customize it: I love cold brew coffee, but it’s not necessary for this recipe. So if you’re avoiding caffeine, add a bit more almond milk or water instead. For a lower fat option, omit the nut butter… but that’s just crazy talk around my house!
If you loved this spirulina superfood smoothie bowl, but looking for a more on-the-go drinkable option, check out Daily Harvest, you can get a discount on your first box with my code ALEAHS. Also, check out my other recipes;
Spirulina Superfood Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 oz cold brew or more almond milk
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen broccoli
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 2 oz frozen banana about 1/2 full size banana
- 1 Tbsp Spirulina powder
- 1 tsp Maca powder
- 1 serving plant protein
- 1 Tbsp nut butter of choice my current favorite is RX Bar Vanilla Almond butter
- 1 Tbsp Roasted cocoa nibs optional
- Add all ingredients minus toppings to the blender (I use vitamix). Blend on low-medium setting for ~5 minutes, allowing it to form a type of soft serve consistency. If it is too thin, add ice cubes. If it’s too thick, add more almond milk. Pour into bowl and add toppings.